Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Danielle Musto wins Burn 24 Hour Challenge


Wilkesboro, North Carolina.

The following is taken from Danielle's race report:

"There were about 270 people competing this year, with about 6-7 solo women. The race started with a Lemans style start around the pit area. Running was brutal. It was about 95 degrees out and we started in a field with no tree coverage. As much as I hate running, it was good that we did it to break up the all of the racers. After getting on our bikes we hit a long-ish climb that dumped into singletrack. I was the first female soloist to hit the singletrack but I knew that the other's weren't far behind. After the first two laps I had only 1.5 minutes on Carey Lowery (I
knew from past races how fast she is.)

The course was so much fun that I never got sick of it. It's funny though, with each lap the downhills seemed longer apart and I felt like there was more and more climbing. I lost track of what time it was and what lap I was on. I figured that I would know when it was midnight because the race website advertised that there would be a "midnight alien abduction."

Morning came before I knew it and I was able to stop racing at 10:45. I finished in first place in the female solo division with 28 laps and was third overall out of the guys! Mark Hendershot was the over
all winner (32 laps) .

Danielle's win added to her impressive results for the 2006 season - with wins at the 12 Hours of Addison Oaks, 7 Hours of Midland, Cannonsburg Challenge (singlespeed), and podium finishes at the Chohutta 100 and the Ouachita Challenge. Next up for Musto is the Founders Lumberjack 100.